Note: Some fields have been redacted for privacy reasons. Please send me an e-mail to request an unredacted PDF version of this résumé that is suitable for printing.
David W. Barts
xxxx Wintergreen Circle #xxx
Bellingham, WA 98226
- Systems I have programmed on include a wide variety of UNIX and UNIX-like environments (including Linux, FreeBSD, and Macintosh OSX), as well as some Windows experience.
- Programming languages I have used include Python, Java, Kotlin, C#, Perl, and C/C++, as well as writing scripts in most of the shells commonly used on the UNIX system (including sh, ksh, and bash).
- Databases I have experience with include both SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server) and NoSQL (Cassandra, Redis, Berkeley DB) products.
- Other skills include cloud hosting (Amazon AWS, Digital Ocean), Amazon S3, configuration and deployment automation (Chef, Puppet), revision control systems (Mercurial, Git, SVN), the NSQ messaging platform, and build/release administration.
PageDNA, Inc., Seattle, WA, October 2015 – September 2016. Software Developer.
- Made security improvements (better credit card number handling and defenses against shell injection and cross-site request forgery) on a Python- and Java-based legacy web site.
SEOmoz, Inc. (d.b.a. Moz), Seattle, WA, April 2012 – July 2015. Software Developer.
- Maintained, expanded, documented, and eventually rewrote most of a Python-based, cloud-hosted (Amazon AWS) multi-threaded Web crawler.
- Developed scripts to scan the crawler logs for error messages, and scripts for testing staged code by sampling existing production crawls, re-running them in staging, and comparing the results. The testing successfully caught the vast majority of bugs, to the point that even major changes were typically deployed uneventfully.
- Rewrote the crawling logic to use Gevent instead of Twisted.
- Made detection of near-duplicate web pages significantly more efficient, effecting savings in Amazon hosting costs and more rapid results for customers.
- Forked and customized the Beautiful Soup HTML parsing library to provide more robust parsing of web pages.
- Analyzed the usage and performance of, then re-engineered the data storage technologies used by the crawler.
The Stash Tea Company, Tigard, OR, August 2010 – June 2011. IS Engineer.
- Maintained and developed back-end Web code in C# for an ASP.NET-based web site.
- Administered an SQL Server database.
- Developed tools to monitor web server health and performance.
SubmitNet, Inc., Portland, OR, March 2007 – April 2009. Software Developer.
- Developed and maintained back-end web server code for a search-engine optimization and search-engine marketing firm.
- Wrote code that interfaced with SQL databases, sometimes using complex queries.
- Dealt with sensitive data (customer credit card billing information).
- Improved web site internationalization.
PhotoWorks, Inc., Seattle, WA, December 2005 – January 2007. Build Engineer.
- Performed daily staging and production builds of web site code.
- Automated daily build procedure and made it more robust by adding a checkpoint and restart facility to it.
- Developed utilities in C, Python, and bash shell to automate and improve the build process.
- Created and maintained Ant build scripts.
- Worked on adding a multi-language client/server-based spell check feature to applet text input dialogs.
B.S. in Computer Science, Utah State University, Logan, UT.