Note: Some fields have been redacted for privacy reasons. Please send me an e-mail to request an unredacted PDF version of this résumé that is suitable for printing.
David W. Barts
xxxx Dumfries Street
Vancouver, BC V5N 3T8
Craft software that reflects the virtues of simplicity, clarity, predictability, robustness, completeness, and correctness.
- Systems I have programmed on include a wide variety of UNIX and UNIX-like environments (including Linux, FreeBSD, and Macintosh OSX), as well as some Windows experience.
- Programming languages I have used include Python, Java, Kotlin, C#, Perl, and C/C++, as well as writing scripts in most of the shells commonly used on the UNIX system (including sh, ksh, and bash).
- Databases I have experience with include both SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server) and NoSQL (Cassandra, Redis, MongoDB) products.
- Other skills of mine include cloud hosting (Amazon AWS, Digital Ocean), Amazon S3, configuration and deployment automation (Chef, Puppet), revision control systems (Mercurial, Git, SVN), the NSQ messaging platform, and build/release administration.
Global Relay Communications, Inc., Vancouver, BC, November 2021 – present. Senior Software Developer.
- Part of an Agile team of 3–5 developers maintaining and developing back-end software using Java 8, Java 15, and Spring Boot.
- Also maintained and developed build (Maven) and deploy (Jenkins, Helm, UNIX shell) scripts and configurations.
- Other technologies used: Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift Cloud, Delinea (Thycotic) Secret Server.
PageDNA, Inc. Seattle, WA, October 2015 – September 2016. Software Developer.
- Made security improvements (better credit card number handling and defences against shell injection and cross-site request forgery) on a Python- and Java-based legacy web site.
- Ongoing maintenance and bug fixes, mostly of back-end Python code, for existing software driving the PageDNA web service.
SEOmoz, Inc. (d.b.a. Moz), Seattle, WA, April 2012 – July 2015. Software Developer.
- Maintained, expanded, documented, and eventually rewrote most of a Python-based, cloud-hosted (Amazon AWS) multi-threaded Web crawler.
- Developed scripts to scan the crawler logs for error messages, and scripts for testing staged code by sampling existing production crawls, re-running them in staging, and comparing the results. The testing successfully caught the vast majority of bugs, to the point that even major changes were typically deployed uneventfully.
- Rewrote the crawling logic to use Gevent instead of Twisted.
- Made detection of near-duplicate web pages significantly more efficient, effecting savings in Amazon hosting costs and more rapid results for customers.
- Forked and customized the Beautiful Soup HTML parsing library to provide more robust parsing of web pages.
- Analyzed the usage and performance of, then re-engineered the data storage technologies used by the crawler.
The Stash Tea Company, Tigard, OR, August 2010 – June 2011. IS Engineer.
- Maintained and developed back-end Web code in C# for an ASP.NET-based web site.
- Administered an SQL Server database.
- Developed tools to monitor web server health and performance.
SubmitNet, Inc., Portland, OR, March 2007 – April 2009. Software Developer.
- Developed and maintained back-end web server code for a search-engine optimization and search-engine marketing firm.
- Wrote code that interfaced with SQL databases, sometimes using complex queries.
- Dealt with sensitive data (customer credit card billing information).
- Improved web site internationalization.
PhotoWorks, Inc., Seattle, WA, December 2005 – January 2007. Build Engineer.
- Performed daily staging and production builds of web site code.
- Automated daily build procedure and made it more robust by adding a checkpoint and restart facility to it.
- Developed utilities in C, Python, and bash shell to automate and improve the build process.
- Created and maintained Ant build scripts.
- Worked on adding a multi-language client/server-based spell check feature to applet text input dialogs.
B.S. in Computer Science, Utah State University, Logan, UT.